Sunday, April 14, 2013

PUTTING LEARNING IN A BOX?


Is it physics?   Is it maths?  Reading?  Comprehension?   ....

Fun?

Oh - hang on, I don't remember seeing "Fun" as a heading on the curriculum ...



... and taking apart an old video camera - technology ... electronics ... I don't know!

And I don't care.

We don't put learning into a box - we don't give it a name.

It's just normal life.

I don't teach my children.

I observe, provide, facilitate, encourage, answer, question and I'm blessed to share many, many LIGHTBULB moments!

It works.    Our 19 year old son just went through a testing procedure - we didn't do tests when he was younger, so I was interested to see where he would score now that he's grown up.

When he was very little I got many books out the library about "Teaching The Gifted Child".  I thought he was very bright - gifted even.   Then, to my dismay, he seemed to take a few years off being bright.  Around 14 years off actually.

Unbeknown to me he was still learning.

And he was learning at his own pace, in his own way.

I put myself through many "I'm not doing enough work with this child" moments.  But I should have had more confidence.

The psychologist who tested our son said that they don't do IQ tests anymore, but the result he got in the test she did would be equivalent to an IQ of around 130-140.

So he is a Brainy-Brain-Box after all! 




That was a gift to me - knowing that I can continue with educating these younger children the same way I've always done it.    Naturally and Gently.

God Bless
The Mummalady




No comments: