Friday, January 15, 2010

BLESSING OTHERS



Hi there increasing list of followers and other dropper-inners!


My daughter and I love to make cards. We also love to send those cards to people, with a few lines written in them, to let people know we are thinking of them, or to thank them for something.

Very special if we can include a piece of scripture too.

If you would like to be part of this exciting ministry here's what you will require:

Some cards
A pen
Some envelopes
Some stamps

If you would like to MAKE your own cards I encourage you greatly!

You might like to increase your supplies to

Blank cards
corrugated cardboard
craft punches
glue sticks
fancy papers
sparkly sticky-on things

etc etc etc



Making cards is a beautiful hobby because you have fun making something, and then you bless someone when you send it to them

However: when we've been out shopping for our craft supplies we have noticed that scrapbooking and cardmaking is one of those lovely hobbies that can become an IDOL.

NO! I hear you say.

Surely an Idol is an image/statue that people bow down to.

Yes.

Also:

Webster's 1828 Dictionary says this among others things:

"Any thing on which we set our affections; that to which we indulge an excessive and sinful attachment."

That would leave people open to their own opinions about exactly what "excessive" and "sinful" means, but to me I think along the lines of "Is this thing I am doing helping me to move closer to God, or getting in the way of me serving God?"

I would also ask myself "If I had to give this thing up would I pout, complain and feel sorry for myself - would I say "NO I WILL NOT GIVE IT UP!" ????

I am comforted by the fact that our cardmaking has not taken over our lounge/house/lives; it is not a financial drain; we can pass craft shops without buying "just one more punch"; we do not pour over craft magazines with a desire to purchase every item shown in the advertisements; and it remains a lovely little hobby that we have fun with, and bless others.

Blessings
The Mummalady

No comments: